Skip to main content

Npgsql 1.0 Released!! A little bit of its history

Hi all!

I'm really happy to announce that Npgsql Team has released Npgsql 1.0 final!

I started to work on Npgsql 4 years ago, just after I finished my CS graduation course. What motivated me was the possibility to implement a network communication protocol and to have something done to community. I'm a big fan of OpenSource philosophy, better, I'm passionate about OpenSource and community, and realized I didn't return anything to it up to now. Besides that, I wanted to make part of it.

So, I started sending a message to postgresql mailling list asking if there was something about that being worked on. I received some replies about nothing being done yet and one saying that a p/invoke based proof of concept was tested. I wanted to implement postgresql communication protocol so I started to work on it. Some time later, I sent another message talking about project launch. At that time, Dave Page, from pgAdmin, jumped the wagon and started to help me get project going. I couldn't believe it! Dave Page, who later I discovered didn't play only with pgAdmin but also with postgresql installer and postgresql itself and others, was helping me with my just-started project! Thank you, Dave!

Since then, we have been working on a lot of features to make Npgsql work as best as possible. We have made a lot of progress and today Npgsql is a big success. One thing which make me think we were in the right direction was an invitation from Daniel Morgan, of Mono Project, to make Npgsql available in Mono sources. This made Npgsql become part of a bigger project and I'm very happy this happened. You guys, rock! Thanks for believing in the project.

I learned a lot about opensource on all those years working with Npgsql. I also knew a lot of very nice people, here in my country, Brazil, and throughout the world. I think this is the biggest reward I received for all this work. It is an experience I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

I would like to thank, firstly, God for allowing all this to happen and all people who helped me and the project to become what it is today! Without your help this won't be possible. I'd like to give special thanks to Josh Cooley, who have been doing a great job helping me to organize and give Npgsql the right direction and Hiroshi Saito who is helping us to spread the word of Npgsql in Japan! Dave Page for all his guidance and support. Guys and gals at gborg and pgfoundry who hosted Npgsql. Thank you!

(Note: I will edit this post later to add the name of all developers who helped Npgsql. I will search my mail archives to get your names and make sure I don't forget anyone)


For the future, we will be working on new ado.net 2.0 features and integration with visual studio.net. We will work on better performance and feature completeness. There is a lot of work to do and we will count on community feedback to make it even better! Stay tuned!


Thank you all

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Npgsql Lead Developer

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you providing an excellent library! I have been using it for a large project at work since 0.98.2 and have never run into a bug!
Anonymous said…
Not only has the code always worked well when I used it, but you have always been very helpful with questions people have had and have fostered a nice community of people around npgsql. In addition, your involvement with the Mono project has lent credibility to PostgreSQL. Certainly a very large tip of the hat is in order for you Francisco.
Anonymous said…
I can only agree with previous posters. I have been using Npgsql for my website since 0.7.0. It has always worked without a glitch. Congratulations to the 1.0 release and keep up the good work, Francisco.
Thank you guys! Your words tell me we are in the right way. We will work hard to make Npgsql even better!

Popular posts from this blog

UUID datatype and COPY IN/OUT support added to cvs

Hi all! It was just added support to uuid datatype in cvs head. This type will be available in next Postgresql release 8.3. Thanks to David Bachmann for his patch! You can get more info about this patch in this mailing list post . Also was added support for copy in and copy out operations. Now, users can provide streams which can be copied directly to and from Postgresql tables! Thanks to Kalle Hallivuori for providing a patch! Thanks to Truviso for giving support to Kalle. More info about that including a demo and ready to use compiled Npgsql.dll versions can be found here . That's it! As soon as we get more features added, I will post info about them here. Stay tuned! :)

Npgsql Tips: Using " in (...)" queries with parameters list and "any" operator

Hi, all! We have received some users questions about how to send a list of values to be used in queries using the "in" operator. Something like: select foo, bar from table where foo in (blah1, blah2, blah3); Npgsql supports array-like parameter values and the first idea to have this working would try to use it directly: NpgsqlCommand command = new NpgsqlCommand("select * from tablee where field_serial in (:parameterlist)", conn); ArrayList l = new ArrayList(); l.Add(5); l.Add(6); command.Parameters.Add(new NpgsqlParameter("parameterlist", NpgsqlDbType.Array | NpgsqlDbType.Integer)); command.Parameters[0].Value = l.ToArray(); NpgsqlDataReader dr = command.ExecuteReader(); but unfortunately this won't work as expected. Npgsql will send a query like this: select * from tablee where field_serial in ((array[5,6])::int4[]) And Postgresql will complain with the followin

Stream seek error

Hi all! Since Npgsql RC1, we started to receive some error reports about problems when closing connections. The typical stack trace looked like this: System.NotSupportedException : This stream does not support seek operations. at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Seek(Int64 offset, SeekOrigin origin) at System.IO.BufferedStream.FlushRead() at System.IO.BufferedStream.WriteByte(Byte value) − at Npgsql.NpgsqlQuery.WriteToStream(Stream outputStream) in C:\Npgsql\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlQuery.cs:line 62 − at Npgsql.NpgsqlReadyState.QueryEnum(NpgsqlConnector context, NpgsqlCommand command) in C:\Npgsql\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlReadyState.cs:line 64 − at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnector.ReleasePlansPortals() in C:\Npgsql\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlConnector.cs:line 373 − at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectorPool.UngetPooledConnector(NpgsqlConnection Connection, NpgsqlConnector Connector) in C:\Npgsql\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlConnectorPool.cs:line 541 − at Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectorPool.ReleasePooledConnector(NpgsqlConn